I have a "killer" way to nail one of the hardest fish to land. If you are into drop shot try this.
1) Take a "lead head" 1/4 oz cut head off of Live bait insert bait (As you would for a swim bait) cast and very slowly real and pop off bottom (about 4" to 6"). Placment for you bait is everything for this fish. Look for a drop off and pull your bait up the drop off poping slowly.
2) The other way i have found is. Keep live baits head on, hook the 1/4oz "lead head" through the head (going from bottom to top of head) . Be sure you do not hit the brain of the fish, the bait will last much longer. After this is done cats out about 10' to 12' (keep bait close to boat less chance to loose fish) do not pop off bottom, drag the sand slowly. *Note* DO NOT SET HOOK. LET THE HOOK DO THE WORK!!!
Items you will need:
1) 1/4oz lead head
2) Open reel with a 5' to 6' rod with 6 to 12 lbs test
3) Live bait (Smelt works best for this app.)
4) Small craft (Float tube/ small boat)
5) and last you must and i mean must have fun!
*Note* This app works best for bays and inlet, Brackish water ways. during Per and Post spawn
Be sure if fishing in So. Cali please know how to identify male and female and size restrictions. I will cost you alot of cash if you dont. 22'' limit for So cal. Release Female fish back when possible for more fish later.
Thanks for reading, and please repost to let me know how it worked for you.