This past year I've been testing out KVD Line and Lure Conditioner hoping that it will improve my line handling and preserve line strength throughout the season. It's a milky solution and it coats your line. It gives it a waxy slick feel so that helps the line move through the guides easier. It's also hydrophobic so therefore one should experience less ice up. Through the last month I've seen that the line when treated overnight before going out had a much better result of reducing ice up. When I did no treat the line the night before, I had experience a bit more line ice up. So it's hydrophobic quality seems to be doing its job as claimed.
So after a little than a month's test, I had decided to check the line strength of the few lines I treated with this. First off, Gamma ESP 4# line test. It was breaking at 3# 2 oz. Very dismal result even for fresh line spooled this season just for this too. I had to check another reel with the same line that has seen some fishing time as well, but was last year's line. The untreated line tested at 4# 14 oz. right where it should be. Maybe this line was a fluke. Went to another line treated with KVD L&L, Asso 3# Ice Fishing Line. It was breaking at 2# 2 oz. Just doesn't seem right. I had only treated this line like maybe three or four times and hasn't seen much ice fishing time. I started to peel line off and kept checking line strength. After about 10 yards I check line strength at about 3# 2 oz. After about 20 yards I checked line strength at about 3# 7 oz. That's where the line strength should be. I went back to pull line off of the reel with the treated Gamma ESP 4#. I pulled 10 yards and still got breaks at 3# 6 oz. I tested two samples. Pulled 20 yards still got line breaks at 3# 4 oz. Pullled 30 yards got line breaks at 4# 1 oz. Pulled 40 yards and got line breaks at 4# 8 oz. Pulled about 50 yards to clean unstained line and got line breaks at 4# 13 oz. Pulling two samples each time just to double check my results.
I went to another line that was sprayed like only about twice and have seen some light ice fishing time only. Gamma Copolymer 6# and tested it at 10# 0 oz. line break. This is fresh line this year. That's close to where the line should break, but last year's tested line results came out at 11# 10 oz. So that's a difference of 1# 10 oz. already with only a line treatment of only twice.
The following lines were not treated. Asso Ice Fishing line 4# tested out at a line strength of 4# 15 oz. Asso Micron3 line 4# tested out at a line strength of 4# 12 oz. The other Gamma ESP Ice 4# tested out at a line strength of 4# 14 oz. These are all one year old line that has seen ice fishing time since then and still holding their line strength.
Either I've ran into come coincidental weak line that I just happenned to treat with KVD Line and Lure Conditioner or for some unforeseen results of cold weather had taken some toll on these lines. I will have to rule out the cold weather exposure resulting in weaker line since basically all lines pretty much had the same temperature exposure. However the results from the Gamma ESP Ice 4# line may have resulted from more use, but I wouldn't expect the effect to have taken up so many yards. Especially when I've only been fishing mostly less than 30 feet at a time. I shouldn't had required to strip so much yardage of line to get down to where the line would maintain OEM strength. I will check in another month's time to see how the same stripped lines will be holding up to see if it was a line treatment issue or just time and use issue. I'm also going to set some sample lines to the side and treat them with KVD Line and Lure Conditioner and wont use them for fishing and test the line strength results. It could all be coincidental, but I'm not liking my current results with it. I was expecting line strength preservation.