There are swimbaits, and then there are Castaic Swimbaits
—a distinction that matters greatly to anglers like Southern California’s Mike Long, perhaps the finest swimbait tactician alive.
In recent months, Long has used Castaic’s newest secret weapon, the soft-bodied Catch22
(C22), to boat numerous largemouths in the 10 to 15-pound class. The lure also scored him a recent tournament win on Lower Otay Lake
, near San Diego, where he outfished his nearest competitors by more than 10 pounds. Long’s limit was capped by a 13-pound hawg that fell for a 6-inch Catch22
, in Castaic’s new Ghost Rainbow pattern.
Long had lately been field testing three additions to the already exceptional swimbait line. With his stamp of approval, Castaic released its newest swimbait species’—the Catch22 Threadfin Shad, Sunfish and Ghost Rainbow. Like the original Rainbow Trout, the new species were crafted with Castaic’s trademark “Actual Species Replication.” No other lure company offers such realism, both in design and function.
The new Catch22 Threadfin Shad patterns include 4- and 6-inch sizes in Slow Sink, and four colors, including Blue Shad, Green Shad, Golden Shiner and Silver Shiner. The new Sunfish is a 5-inch bait in Slow Sink, available in Sunfish, Bluegill and Tilapia patterns. Like the original Rainbow Trout, the new Ghost Rainbow is offered in 4-inch
(Slow Sink), 6-inch
(Slow Sink), 8-inch
(Slow Sink or Floating) and 10-inch
(Slow Sink or Floating) sizes. Catch22 Swimbaits retail for $16.99 to $29.99.
“Using these baits my hook-up ratio has gone from 60 percent to well over 90 percent,” Long said. “The bait’s collapsible body construction enables the hook to penetrate bass jaws easier than any other soft-bodied swimbait on the market. And its interior soft skeleton lets you catch bass after bass without damaging the bait.
“What I really love about the C22, though, is the way it swims. It has phenomenal action at all retrieve speeds, and when you pause and rip the bait, it darts and turns more realistically than any lure I’ve ever thrown.”
Catch22 Swimbaits feature revolutionary design elements that set them apart from all other lures on the market. In addition, Castaic offers an exclusive Catch22 Guarantee. If you catch fewer than 22 bass before the C22 loses its ability to swim,
return the bait, along with $7.50 shipping and handling, for a one-time lure replacement.
The Catch22 possesses traits never before seen in a softbait, coupling a fluid, lifelike action with the durability and longevity of a hardbait. Castaic Catch22 innovations include:The CATCH22 GUARANTEE
– To back its claims of toughness, Castaic is offering an unheard of 22 bass guarantee. If you catch fewer than 22 bass before the C22 loses its ability to swim, return the bait, along with $7.50 shipping and handling, for a one-time lure replacement.Innovation #1
– Castaic’s exclusive patent-pending Inner Armor Fiber Skeleton prevents the Catch22 from tearing and losing its natural swimming motion. While other soft baits break down after just a few fish, the Catch22 keeps on kicking. Similar to the interior cartilage structure of a live shark, this soft, flexible skeleton reinforces vital joint sections, while preserving the lure body’s integrity.Innovation #2
– Ingenious No-Throw Sliding Hook System keeps fish hooked solidly from strike to lip-lock. This critical design element allows the C22 to slide freely up the line when fish are hooked. This yields more successful hooksets, while also preventing fish from using the weight of the lure as leverage against you, and throwing the hook.Innovation #3
– Another patented Castaic exclusive—the Magnetic Hook Holder®—keeps the Tri-Claw hook aligned parallel to the C22’s body. When retrieved, a magnet pins the hook to the belly of the lure, precisely positioned for a sound hookset. This streamlined hook placement yields an ultra natural appearance and presentation, while also helping the lure resist snags.Innovation #4
– Castaic’s advanced Tri-Claw® hook is unique among swimbaits today. Coupled with the Magnetic Hook Holder, which pins the Tri-Claw hook against the lure body, hook gaps lie exposed and away from the bait, where they’re in ideal position to penetrate and hold. For pro-level swimbait fishing, this radical hook system is a must.Innovation #5
– Real Swim™ Technology allows the C22 to swim naturally at multiple retrieve speeds. From a slow crawl to a speedy burn, the C22 is one of the most versatile swimbaits available. While most swimbaits require the angler to learn and master one specific retrieve, the C22 swims flawlessly at almost any speed.
“The Catch22 is the biggest breakthrough in swimbaits in a long time,” Long said. “Fishermen are going to catch a lot of bass with this lure.”
One of America’s original swimbait tacticians, Long has boated 27 of the top 100 heaviest bass ever documented. Throwing Castaic Swimbaits, he has caught 13 bass weighing in at more than 15 pounds. In 2001, Long boated the ninth largest bass ever documented, a 20-pound 12-ounce monster using a 6-inch Castaic Trout.