Monofilament line. The electric trolling motor. A spring-loaded bobber. Where would we be without them? The American Sportfishing Association announced the Top Ten list of influential items that have changed the way people fish.
Think you know what they are?
Without further ado...
1. Original Floating Minnow: 1936 — Rapala
Perhaps the most popular and successful lure in history.
2. Spring-loaded Bobber: 1947 — Nibble Nabber
Found in almost every angler's tackle box.
3. Mitchell 300: 1949 — Mitchell
Who hasn't fished this spinning reel?
4. Creme Worm: 1949 — Creme Lure Company
The plastic lure that started it all.
5. Closed Face Spincast Reel: 1949 — Zero Hour Bomb Company
How every kid learns to cast.
6. Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor: 1957 — Lowrance
Known as the "Little Green Box" that introduced anglers to sonar...the first ones were actually red.
7. Monofilament Line: 1958 — DuPont Stren
What did they use before mono?
8. Minn Kota Trolling Motor: 1958 — Minn Kota
Lets you crowd that other boat... quietly.
9. Fenwick High Modulus Graphite Rod: 1972 — Fenwick
Probably started the "hold-the-rod-tip-to-your-throat-and-talk" test.
10. Shakespeare Ugly Stik: 1976 — Shakespeare
So tough it could survive a nuclear holocaust.